Picture of Charlotte Steer
the course gets better and better
by Charlotte Steer - Sunday, 6 April 2014, 10:01 AM

congratulations! you 3 have finally relaxed, you feel like you know us and are talking right to us as friends and colleagues - lovely to watch. marion,I loved it when you looked at the camera, you have such a lovely smile! It was a really warm and personal conversation with us and thankyou for that.

And giving generic feedback about what worked well is usually not very good, because no one student knows whether theirs was good or not, but u had preceded it with individual posts of feedback so we knew you were actually talking about our work.

great to see u laughing about going on holiday - made us feel like we were right there in the staffroom - i was looking for greg's extraordinarily tidy desk and couldn't see it, nor could i see the gorgeous coloured crayons/textas/drawing paper/ mind maps of liz's desk .... Liz, I commandeered every coloured texta i could find, some A3 paper from the bottom of the photocopier, and one of my colleagues, and made her sit down with me and mind map a particularly tricky project we are working on - and I thought of you!

Thankyou for this course, you are forcing me to learn all kinds of things by doing. i am simultaneously doing Gilly salmon's carpe diem, have dropped out of coursera univerity 101 (but there is one class I will do) and am loving the coursera "globalising higher education etc etc" MOOC. I feel confident to write my first draft online course, since the institution where I have taught has been entirely F2F with moodle only used to post articles. The institution where i have been working since february (but don't teach) has 80% of its students online, so these courses came at the perfect time for me.

Thankyou so much.

best wishes

Charlotte

Picture of Heli Nurmi
Re: the course gets better and better
by Heli Nurmi - Sunday, 6 April 2014, 01:29 PM

I'll continue with Charlotta's feelings about going better and better..

When I watched the week4 vidcast I wanted to tweet that "you are so cute" but I was not sure if they have similar humour as me, I didn't tweet -but I put it here : Look at how cute they are:

the tutorsThis photo is taken at the beginning. I tried to take a snpa about their smiles when they tell about going to holidays and I agree with Charlotta about Marion's smile. But they are cute.

holiday

My problem is that they are so perfect that they need no TAs. But I can play here in the Cafe room anyway. And I wonder those Bank holidays and forced Easter break and restrictions like "do not use more than 90 min" to something. I cannot understand that culture but I live so far that I let it be :) And I may work on holidays, they cannot prevent me of doing so :)

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Sunday, 6 April 2014, 02:50 PM

Today is my birthday - I am doing my day-job today (two shifts), but I am having a break from my online teaching today. But that won't stop me enjoying this course, reading posts, or thinking about it. the teaching staff team do look comfortable together don't they Heli?

and as to not needing TAs - that's not the point - you need another pair of eyes in case there is an issue that needs dealing with quickly, and to help create that learning communtiy. I don't have that  in my courses, so if I am ill, I just trudge in to work, just like my day job. Easier to do it than to get cover.

Picture of Heli Nurmi
by Heli Nurmi - Sunday, 6 April 2014, 05:03 PM

Happy birthday to you, Adrian!

You have been very helpful during this course, one of the voluntary TAs.

I'll be next three days a fulltime grandmother, then I come back here.

All the best!

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 11:17 AM

Did you survive being a full time gran?

Picture of Heli Nurmi
by Heli Nurmi - Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 11:58 AM

Yes, Adrian. I survived and was very proud of it. An active 4 year old boy is more active than a hundred participant in a mooc ∞

Picture of Elizabeth Lovegrove
by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 12:02 PM

Happy belated birthday, Adrian!

Greg
by Greg Benfield - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 12:47 PM

Likewise Adrian, happy belated birthday. And thank you Heli and Charolotte for your kind words. It's always a pleasure (and our job is made so much easier) to be involved with colleagues who share our enthusiasm for learning and teaching. 

Greg

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 01:18 PM

thanks for the birthday wishes.

I don't like to compare courses, but this feels more like a university based seminar than a MOOC.

ps that is intended to be a compliment.

by Charlotte Steer - Monday, 28 April 2014, 11:23 AM

adrian i agree, as the weeks go on it feels like a seminar /discussion/ conversation/community of practice, and i love it! i think we are very very lucky to be in this first iteration, before it becomes well known and popular

what do u teach - my guess is education, or the sociology of "x",....?

Charlotte

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Monday, 28 April 2014, 05:53 PM

Hi Charlotte,

I teach Trade Union studies as an occasional tutor, and critical pedagogy; I would like to teach initial teacher training as well - but sessional (online) posts are hard to come by, and I do have a day-job in addition to my teaching which is quite demanding. I have a background in social sciences though as you guessed.

Cheers,

Adrian

happy snap of teachers
by Charlotte Steer - Monday, 28 April 2014, 11:24 AM

OK team, that laughing shot MUST go up in the first week of the next iteration!

Charlotte

Picture of Elizabeth Lovegrove
Re: happy snap of teachers
by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 07:08 AM

Hah! That's a great idea - we could use it on the 'course team' page instead of the formal portrait shots which were all we could lay our hands on at the point we were making the page :-)

marion waite
Re: happy snap of teachers
by Marion Waite - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 07:13 AM

Thank you for all of your kind words everyone. The course has got better and better for us too but that is all down to the enthusiasm of you guys. 

Marion