Picture of Jo Murphy
New to this environment
by Jo Murphy - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 08:06 PM

question 1 What exactly is Moodle? I'm not sure if i'm in it or not in it. Will I know it when I see it? If it is just the software package that this whole online course sits in, then perhaps it's overly confusing and actually I don't need to know about it as all I need to do is click on the links?!

question 2 I'm reading through all the scenarios. Instead of having to go in and out clicking on each one, is it possible just to see them all?

Having done Open University courses, I thought I was ok, but this is taking some time to navigate through. It doesn't help that I have different formats on the IPad to the Microsoft laptop either! Perhaps more virtual beverage would help!

thank you

Corey Sheep.
Re: New to this environment
by Adrian Judd - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 09:03 PM

Hi Jo,

You are living and breathing Moodle - it is the virtual world that this online course takes place in. Or perhaps you are suffocating in it. If you are new to it it can be distinctly toxic as an environment till you acclimatise.

This course doesn't look at what Moodle is and how it can be used, well not really, maybe in passing, but you can ignore those comments.

clicking on links will take you anywhere you want to go... the NAVIGATION section on the left is a good start.

My favourite link is this one to all the discussion forums, where you can see new posts.

Picture of Jo Murphy
by Jo Murphy - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 11:09 PM

excellent thank you, think I'm getting there!

I'll bookmark that link

Picture of Elizabeth Lovegrove
by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Thursday, 3 April 2014, 07:26 AM

Hi Jo

I'm sorry you're finding it confusing, but you're quite right to point out that we don't actually explain what 'Moodle' is - thank you.

The only thing I have to add to Adrian's helpful reply (thank you, Adrian) it is that the 'all discussion forums' link (which I use a lot as well) is in the top box in the right hand sidebar which appears when you're on the main course page (as opposed to when you're in a particular discussion or document), and it's also the last item under 'Course info' in the navigation menu on the left, on all course pages.

Liz.

having a bad day... send chocolate
by Tracey Madden - Thursday, 3 April 2014, 10:12 AM

Moodle is just a product then enables you to build a website, such as this one , and interestingly, the one you used at the OU! You can customise the look hence they don't look exactly the same.

You're right that you don't need to understand it so much as click the links and investigate what you find. You found this forum so that proves at least this bit works! I was confused to start with but now, in Week 4, I now have a good idea where everything is; these things sometimes take time (just like learning a building layout).

It does take some time to work through the material but there's a lot here and some of it is very deep; there is a lot to this course (I mean that in a positive way). Reading it in bits does slow you down but sometimes that isn't such a bad thing as it may lead you to take more in.