Picture of Elizabeth Lovegrove
Welcome to the cafe space!
by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 04:15 PM

I've just had one of those alarming 'is it that time already?!' experiences, which seemed to call for a cup of tea, and since I've got a cup of tea (and some dark chocolate), now is surely an appropriate time to 'open' the cafe space. The course starts on Monday, and we've been working away behind the scenes, and we're nearly ready to raise the curtain. And what with cafes, arrivals lounges, and now, apparently, the stage of a theatre, there's probably a conversation to be had about the place metaphors we use for our online courses...

...But let's just say that I'm modelling the appropriate level of conversation for this off topic space ;-) Pull up a chair - how's your day going?

Liz.

marion waite
Re: Welcome to the cafe space!
by Marion Waite - Monday, 10 March 2014, 03:35 PM

Hi Liz

my day has been pretty busy so far. Catching up with my 3 online modules, #tooc staring and I have been teaching face-to-face but I have to say. I have enjoyed it. I thought you did a great job in the webinar. I am going to have a cup of tea now . See you soon.

mario 

by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Monday, 10 March 2014, 04:32 PM

Ooh, a cup of tea. It's been several hours since my last one - must rectify that!

Thanks - shame we had technical problems, though, with people unable to get in. I keep thinking the technology for doing this must be there now, and then somehow it doesn't always quite manage to keep up with what we want to do with it. But it'll get there eventually, right? 

I'm also juggling with other teaching today - I'm doing my annual lecture on fan fiction for the Cultures of Publishing module on Wednesday, so in between popping in and out of this course, I'm reading all sorts of fun things to update it from last year :-)

L.

marion waite
by Marion Waite - Monday, 10 March 2014, 05:48 PM

Sounds really interesting. I went to a really interesting session in Paris on led by a group who are researching online affinity spaces related to fan fiction. They have done work around The Hunger Games and have been doing some online ethnography on young people and the literacies that they are developing from participating in these spaces.  I can send you their stuff if you are interested.

I was realy taken with it.

Need to go and cook the dinner, now.

Marion

by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 08:52 AM

Yes, that sounds right up my street! Thanks - would love to see their stuff. 'Fan studies' seems to be blossoming as a field, I'm sure I could run a whole module on it if someone would let me ;-)

L.

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 01:00 PM

I like metaphor, and use it often in my teaching and my day-job. Do you have a departure lounge planned? What about a left-luggage department?  Where is the school nurse's office? Is there a playground? :-)

Greg
by Greg Benfield - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 04:50 PM

Mmm, good questions. Is this whole course the playground?

Greg

by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 05:20 PM

The nurse's office is easy - that's the 'technical questions' forum, with referal to a doctor (email) if necessary.

Not sure about a departure lounge or left luggage, although I'm now wondering about duty free, and I like Greg's idea that the whole course might be the playground. Certainly the ice breakers activity has felt like a playground today, in the best possible way.

But I think it's fascinating that we talk about online courses (and I suppose online activity generally) in place metaphors. By contrast, I seem to talk about my research writing in craft metaphors - weaving a paragraph in, rethreading a section, that sort of thing.

What sort of metaphors do you use for teaching and the day job?

Liz.

marion waite
by Marion Waite - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 05:48 PM

Ooh assumptions about nurses and hierachy and technical stuff be careful :-)

Yes we do talk about online courses as though they have a methophorical place. Some of the metaphors I use with regard to teaching are acting, performance and actually Liz when I worked within a healthcare team who were deeply committed to teaching we used to refer to craft knowledge as perhaps the harder stuff to define to learners but important to teach.

Interesting conversation.

Marion

by Elizabeth Lovegrove - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 07:50 AM

Argh, yes, sorry. How would it be if I called email a 'clinic' to be referred to, implying various kinds of professional expertise? Which is actually more accurate about this course, as well as more accurate about medicine.

Liz.

marion waite
by Marion Waite - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 08:44 AM

Sounds good to me. Get your presenting problem with online learning assesed here and negotiate a self-management plan or alterantively join the group therapy clinic.

M.

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Saturday, 15 March 2014, 02:24 PM

Odd how patients (?customers?) often present one problem but the real one is hiding behind shyness, nervousness or even hypochondria.

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Saturday, 15 March 2014, 02:27 PM

I try to avoid using 'aunts and uncles' as a metaphor for school teachers, despite that being so apt, but any metaphor suggesting connectedness and relationship works for me. 

Can you be sent to the headteacher's office in an online course?

Picture of Heli Nurmi
by Heli Nurmi - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 10:46 AM

I like metaphors as Adrian and you all I suppose.

The best name for TAs teaching assistants was used in edcmooc: digital angels.

Do you like it? Angles can fly from place to place, are they all white or different colors..?

marion waite
by Marion Waite - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 03:42 PM

Nice metaphor, Digital Angels.

Marion

fiona profile
by Fiona Egglestone (TA) - Thursday, 13 March 2014, 08:36 PM

I like digital angels too :-) I also agree with Greg - the whole course is like a playground. There are some things that can be a bit scary at first, like the big slide you have to work up to (new technology), but once you work up the courage to give it a go you find you love it and want to go again and again...

Corey Sheep.
by Adrian Judd - Saturday, 15 March 2014, 02:22 PM

digital angels - yes - I like that one too.

In my day job I do use metaphor a lot - an occupational hazard really. In my day-job I am trying to get people to relate to an absent identity all the time - metaphor helps.

Playground - mmm, why not? I learn for fun, and there will always be favourite activities.